History
  • 2000

    • Oct. 20, 2008 Busan National Gugak Center opened (Yeonji-dong, Busanjin-gu, Busan)
    • July 7, 2004 Jindo National Gugak Center opened (Imhoe-myeon, Jindo-gun, Jeollanam-do)
    • April 6, 2004 Contemporary Gugak Orchestra established
    • April 10, 2001 Commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the National Gugak Center
    • March 2, 2001 March 2, 2001 Gugak FM Radio Station launched (FM99.1 MHz)
  • 1990

    • May 30, 1997 Namwon National Gugak Center’s new building in Eohyeon-dong opened
    • March 20, 1997 Stage and new building
    • Oct. 22, 1996 Yeak-dang opened (Currently the Seocho-dong building)
    • Feb. 5, 1996 National Gugak Performance Groups divided into Court Music Orchestra, Folk Music Group, and Dance Theater
    • Feb. 23, 1995 Museum of Gugak opened
    • Nov. 30, 1994 Construction of Education & Research building completed
    • March 6, 1993 Affiliation transferred from the Ministry of Culture to the Ministry of Culture and Sports
    • March 20, 1992 Namwon National Gugak Center opened in Noam-dong, Namwon-si (First Director-General Park Jae Yoon)
    • Dec. 17, 1991 Namwon National Gugak Center established under the National Gugak Center
    • Jan. 3, 1990 Affiliation transferred from the Ministry of Culture and Public Affairs to the Ministry of Culture
  • 1980

    • Feb. 15, 1988 Seocho-dong building opened <Small Theater (Currently Umyeon-dang), Administration and Practice Building>
    • Dec. 28, 1987 Moved the headquarters from the National Theater of Korea in Jangchung-dong to what is currently the Seocho-dong building
    • Nov. 9, 1987 National Gugak Center established Management Division, Performance Division, Promotion Division, and Gugak Research Office
  • 1970

    • Aug. 25, 1973 Moved the headquarters from Jangchung-dong building (Currently the National Theater of Korea) to the theater
    • July 11, 1972 “Gugaksa-yangseongso” reorganized as Gugak High School and began to be supervised under Ministry of Education
  • 1960

    • July 24, 1968 Affiliation transferred from Ministry of Public Affairs to the Ministry of Culture and Public Affairs
    • Dec. 9 1967 Moved the headquarters from Unni-dong in Jongro-gu to the building in Jangchung-dong (currently the National Theater of Korea)
    • Jan. 5, 1962 Instruments display room and practice room expanded and opened
    • Oct. 2, 1961 Affiliation transferred from Ministry of Education to the Ministry of Public Affairs
    • March 18, 1961 The first class (17 students) of “Gugaksa-yangseongso” graduated
    • Feb. 11, 1961 Academic degree of “Gugaksa-yangseongso” is acknowledged as similar to universities' by the Minister of Education
  • 1950

    • Feb. 21, 1958 The class term of years at “Gugaksa-yangseongso” changed from 3 years to 6 years.
    • April 1, 1955 “Gugaksa-yangseongso” opened under the National Gugak Center.
      The first class of 30 students was chosen and entered the school.
    • Oct. 1, 1954 “Gugaksa-yangseongso” was established as an affiliated educational institute of the National Gugak Center
      The Director-General of the National Gugak Center, Lee Ju Hwan, also held the office position of first principal
    • April 10, 1951 National Gugak Center opened .
    • April 9, 1951 Lee Ju Hwan appointed as the first Director-General of the National Gugak Center.
    • Jan. 19, 1950 National Gugak Center proclaimed (Presidential Decree No. 271), and as a supplementary provision of Article 10, the National Gugak Center was established under the supervision of the Minister of Education.